Double Standards
"Double Standards" reminds me of a romance novel. I used to like to read novels, suspense thriller and later, romance. However, I really do not (I reemphasize 'do not') recommend romance to people. It really corrupts and perhaps, makes you have expectations of your partner (which is not realistic at all).
Now, why am I on this topic? I have crossed these two words twice in a week. New Testament Survey teacher was telling a story about Peter first sitting with the Gentiles and later, with Jews. Paul saw it and pointed it out. Was Peter having double standards at that moment?
If Peter was, how about us today? Do I have double standards?
There was a part when Jesus taught that when you invite the rich and the poor, you do not segregate them, but let them sit together. You do not let the poor sit on the floor and the rich on the chair. Is this still the practice of the world?
Yesterday, someone took the labcoat into a prohibited area. As the person was more senior, I kept my mum, although the words were bubbling inside. I was not happy ( a mild word) with the interruptions, although he meant well. Now, think about it, if it had been a friend who came in, would I have just tell her? Maybe I would have and I would just tell myself, because I am closer to my friend. Have I used that excuse to being a double-standard person?
Last night, we were having barbeque. I left food on one table (out of three tables). Students were crowding over the pit, grilling the food. The supervisors were chatting. We students have already assumed those roles in a sense. That table was near the supervisors, but one was filled with uncooked food, another was occupied by two vegetarians. Was doing that a speckle of sign of double standard as I may have the thought of giving to the 'elders' first? So is it just another facade? On a more lenient tone, we students were eating the food while grilling anyway.
How about when we cut a cake and tend to distribute to certain people first?
Just like wearing a mask, there's a fine line here. Is it a case-by-case basis situation?
I wonder what is right and what is wrong (and when).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home